HIAS Maths Moodle
Want to be kept up-to-date?
Click here to subscribe to our Maths site news so we can keep you up-to-date with the latest news and training opportunities from the HIAS Maths team. Registration just takes a few minutes and you can unsubscribe at any time.
of high-quality teaching staff presents a significant challenge for schools in
Hampshire, as it does nationally. Our new subject knowledge enhancement course
is for non-specialists, across all core and EBacc subjects, as well as RE.
This training will:
- Support those recently in post, as well as provide preparation support for those who may be taking up a new post in September 2024.
- Equip teachers with the knowledge and skills required to effectively deliver high-quality lessons in the chosen subject.
- Focus on Key Stage 3 teaching principally, whilst offering the requisite level of skill and knowledge to facilitate further development towards the teaching of Key Stage 4 over time.
Part 1 – 12
Part 2 – 23 May, 11 June, 11 July, 24 September, 21 November 2024
Search and book on the Learning Zone using keyword search: non-specialistsPrice: Sub £780 / SLA £730 / Full £936
Invoiced in two parts:
23-24 – Part 1: Sub £130 / SLA £125 / Full £156
24-25 – Part 2: Sub £650 / SLA £605 / Full £780
Subject knowledge enhancement for non-specialists 2024 (Key Stage 3 focus) flyer
The aim of this course is to explore and develop ideas, pedagogies and associated subject knowledge to promote and enhance the teaching of times tables in the classroom. Teachers will engage in mathematics from the primary curriculum and explore mental strategies in order to support pupils’ conceptual understanding of mental fluency.
Search and book on the Learning Zone using keyword search: Math Tables 2024
Price: Sub £210 / SLA £135 / Full £252
The course aims to develop teachers’ pedagogy on the various approaches to teaching the skills needed for effective problem solving – one of the main aims of the National Curriculum. Teachers will have the opportunity to explore the different styles of problems which enable children to develop and embed their mathematical skills.
- Teachers will understand the different teaching strategies to use when teaching problem solving.
- Teachers will explore various styles of problems which enable children to develop and embed their mathematical understanding.
- Teachers will understand what makes a rich problem and how to vary it to meet the needs of all pupils.
Search and book on the Learning Zone using keyword search: Problem Solving 23Price: Sub £105 / SLA £70 / Full £126
This course will explore the effective use of the Pre-Year 1 to Year 3 SEND Planning Tools in mathematics. The documents have been written to outline the knowledge, concepts and strategies needed to progress from the Early Years Foundation Stage to the Year 3 curriculum. The Planning Tool is specifically for pupils with SEN.
The course will cover:
- Effective pedagogy in mathematics
- Diagnostic assessment
- Developing pupil independence
Search and book on the Learning Zone using keyword search: SEND planningPrice: Sub £140 / SLA £100 / Full £168
The course aims to develop teachers’ ability to vary tasks to meet the needs of greater depth pupils within their class. Teachers will explore strategies, task design and questioning to enable pupils to deepen their knowledge and understanding.
- To analyse pupil’s efficiency with mental strategies when solving arithmetic questions, to inform future number fact fluency planning needs.
- To understand how to vary tasks to develop a deeper knowledge and understanding when reasoning and problem solving.
- To understand what makes a good task and develop questioning to ensure pupils have opportunity to justify and prove their thinking.
- To assess pupil work and make judgements regarding next steps. Teachers will then vary tasks according to assessment for learning.
Search and book on the Learning Zone using keyword search: Mathematics Greater 23Price: Sub £190 / SLA £125 / Full £228